Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Making Conscious Choices

I try, I really do, to be rational and not rant too often. But this is just too much. We all complain so much about how politicians spin the truth. What makes me crazy, though, is how easy it usually is to get past the spin -- and how we don't even bother.

Let's take a current example - and we can find examples like this by candidates from all parties. I'm just picking on the one right in front of me. As far as I can discern, it is understood by our government leaders and oil industry executives that no amount of domestic drilling is going to bring down oil prices in the US. First, it takes years for new oil fields to be opened up and for the oil to be brought up and refined and ready to market. Second, we are now in a global market. China is adding 20,000 new cars each month to its economy. Where will the oil go when it is processed? To the highest price markets of China and Europe. Do we have any restrictions on where domestically produced oil is shipped once it is produced? No. Do we know of any reasons why oil companies shouldn't ship their oil to the highest priced markets? No.

I just sat at a luncheon where the former head of the CIA under the Bush Administration said loud and clear "We can't drill our way out of this problem. Developing alternative energy sources is the only solution." The oil men on either side of me agreed. The speaker is currently driving a hybrid that's been engineered to give him 50 mpg with his car and he listed a raft of other alternatives that are already possible. So tell me, why are the candidates campaigning that by opening up drilling in protected areas they can bring down oil prices? Because we tell them so! Because 64% of the electorate polled believes this to be true. Therefore our candidates are telling us what we want to hear.

This happens among democrats and republicans alike. We get the government we deserve. Let's stop being led around by our own knee jerk reactions to challenges we face. Let's make conscious, informed decisions. Let's improve the level of dialogue in our community by working to talk with people from different backgrounds and beliefs. My parents went out of their way to register one as a democrat and one as a republican because, as they said "We want to know the whole story, and no one side will tell us more than their own perspective. " Of all people, I know how hard this is. In my family, I'm well known for talking first and listening last, for having strong opinions and biases. These are traits that are being beaten out of me by this job!!! It takes effort. But together, we can do it. I promise to take the time to hear your perspective and ideas if you'll do the same for me.

No comments: